In music composition with Rick Gehrenbeck, the eighth grade students shared their favorite songs and learned how to create future number one hits of their own. This week, they focused on drums and bass. In future classes, they will have the chance to layer in their original sounds and, if they choose to do so, their own voices or instruments!
The seventh grade flaunted their acting skills this week in language arts. They assumed character roles and performed a reader's theater scene using The Outsiders. We may have some Broadway stars on the rise in this class!
In PE, Ms. S led the eighth graders in a rousing game of lacrosse. Each week, they gain the skills necessary to excel. Thanks to Ms. Sagert for introducing new sports to our students!
In art class, Mr. O is leading the sixth grade students through two art projects. First, the students draw ancient Egyptian reliefs. Using this model, they then draw a modern figure in the style of an ancient Egyptian. Be sure to check out the results in the hallways of St. Matthias and Dank Haus. Simultaneously, the students are creating a time capsule to open at their eighth grade graduation. They wrote letters to themselves and one another, sealed the letters in a protective layer of clay, and will eventually bury the capsule.
Doing her best Alex Trebek impression, Ms. Kanaley challenged the seventh graders to a game of Spanish Jeopardy. With music provided by Josue, the students felt like superstars as they practiced their language skills.
- 7th Grade Basketball: Friday January 22nd @ Amundsen HS (7:15 PM)
- 6th Grade Basketball: Saturday, January 23 - Boys @ SMS (11AM); Girls @ SMM (11AM)
- Progress Reports will be sent home on Friday, January 29.
- Catholic Schools Week begins with 10:30 Mass on Sunday, January 31. Please join us after Mass for an Open House from 11:30-1:30.
- BEE prepared for the Spelling Bee (February 2) and Geography Bee (February 3). On Wednesday, come cheer on our K-3 students at 12:30 and stay for the 4-8 competition afterward.
Ms. Denten & Mrs. Prinzivalli